Minutes - Starmont Community School District

Minutes

 

December 2017 SIAC Meeting Minutes

February 2017 and April 2017 SIAC Meeting Minutes


Starmont SIAC Meeting

November 15, 2016

 

Members present: Jason Martin-Hiner, Mike Breitbach, Jeri Watson, Audry Goedken, Amanda Knox, Janet Becker, Susie Tjaden, Beth Jaeger, Deb Heller, Troy Heller, Marc Snavely and Sandy Klaus.

Mr. Heller introduced himself as new superintendent to the committee. He described the advantages of operational sharing and how it benefits Starmont in particular. Starmont currently shares the positions of superintendent, transportation director, counselor, human relations, and curriculum director. We max out at 21 points and that is the equivalent to the income we receive from 21 students. Mr. Heller reviewed Starmont’s Unspent Authorized Budget including enrollment history and projections, allowable growth and negotiated expense. He complimented the Board of Education and former superintendent for their tight rein on expenses last year. Starmont has money in cash reserves but does not have a healthy unspent balance. He explained funding streams and the restrictions by legislators on such streams of money. Mr. Heller also reviewed the capital funds budget and PPEL funds budget both of which are healthy. AMPI wants Starmont to pay for a portion of electricity on their lagoons and a portion of sewage. The charge is currently $1200.00 annually and it will rise significantly. The Board and AMPI are in negotiations and the Board is examining their options.

The minutes were reviewed and approved. Mr. Snavely provided updates on project listed in the minutes.

Mrs. Klaus and Mr. Snavely explained the elementary and middle school/high school building goals.

Mrs. Klaus named the staff hired through the Teacher Leadership and Compensation Grant (TLC) and that will be working at Starmont. They are Carol Wenger, Consortium Coordinator; Jenni Schauf and Ann Gibney, instructional coaches; Matt Molumby, technology integrationist; Sheryl Anfinson, Molly Augustine, Bobbi DeLong, Sue Klett, Mike Augustine, and Amanda Knox, mentors; Bobbi DeLong and Beth Jaeger, learning lab teachers. Roles were reviewed.

Differentiated Accountability, Iowa’s response to the new ESSA law as well as compliance with state legislation was described by Mrs. Klaus. Five healthy indicators were explained as was Starmont’s designation as a targeted school. The DE will be giving group support for schools identified as targeted. DA requirements are currently PK-6 and will extend to grades 7-12 starting next year. Math and behavior will also be areas of focus in the future.

Mr. Heller, Mrs. Klaus, and Mrs. Briggs will visit the Lamont Common Grounds Coffee Shop on Wednesday, December 21 to share information about our school. Upon recommendation from the SIAC, we are going to the community in an effort to communicate with our community. When asked where to go in Strawberry Point and Lamont, the SIAC recommended setting up a table at a firemen’s’ meal in Arlington or Strawberry, St. Mary’s fish fry, Starmont’s fish fry, or Berry Tender’s breakfast.

The SIAC recommended that we contact Strawberry Point’s Economic Development group, the Community Club in Arlington, and any of the City Councils regarding the possibility of taking the community needs assessment.   

The SIAC recommended that we send a google form to those on the committee and ask the best day of the week/month and best time of day to have our SIAC meetings.

Mr. Snavely gave a brief overview of Standards Based Grading with more information to come in January or March.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Sandy Klaus


Starmont SIAC Meeting

March 21, 2016 @ 5:00 in K-8 Media Center

Members present: Jason Martin-Hiner, Theresa Breitbach, Tina Pech, Susie Tjaden, Marc Snavely, Sandy Klaus, Amanda Knox, Stacie Francois, Allan Nelson, Patty Briggs

 

Mr. Nelson spoke for a few minutes about his focus this year and the current condition of our budget.  He explained that he inherited a negative unspent balance. We should end the year positive 5,000-50,000. We will be able to add 130,000 dollars to that balance because the SBRC granted us permission to use funds on hand to pay the unspent balance. If we continue with the plan by the end of the next school year, we should be able to be approx. 300,000 dollars positive.

He discussed the PPEL levy. All schools have a board approved 33cent levy. We would like to shift some costs from general fund to PPEL levy. Example lawn mowing of the campus, moving tech services to ppel from general fund. These cause our PPEL to be stretched. There will be costs down the road, for maintenance. H-Vac system may be a possibility. If the vote passes it gives us an opportunity to shift funds. Article will appear in the paper to explain costs and effects on local property value.

 

  1. Review Minutes – January Meeting

Approved the minutes

  1. TLC Update – Sandy Klaus: shared how our grant is developed. We are a consortium with East Buchanon, West Central, Central Elkader and Starmont. We have instructional coaches, Technology integrationists, mentor teachers, and learning lab teachers. Grant pays for stipend and for teacher to replace teacher leaving the classroom. We are learning a lot and we are excited about the opportunities. Starmont is the fiscal agent for the consortium.

 

  1. District Updates

 

  1. Sound System- Cafetorium is need of sound system that works and provides our students with better experience in the gym and the cafeteria. Gathered quotes from a couple of companies– SMA and Booster Club members were present for presentations about our systems.  We will be updating both areas.  A portable system for sporting events will be purchased. Gym will be completed by graduation. After July 1 the system will be completed in the café.

Suggestion – possibly contact alumni about making contributions to the systems.

  1. Technology – Chromebooks in 4th/5th –

Being extended into the elementary –they will be stored in the classroom. Students will use them throughout the year.

Questions – about the life of the computer,- Technology has a 5 year  plan to replace chrome books . Clarity survey said parents didn’t really want them at home.

Questions about insurance – user agreement covers the issues and about a meeting for elementary parents to  roll out chromebooks.

  1. Playground Equipment – Replaced little kids playground was replaced last summer, we will replace the other major piece of equipment with a ropes playground area. A committee of students, teachers and parents reviewed various possible equipment and they chose the rope model. It will be installed this summer. Questions about what will happen with the old equipment.


 

  1. Greenhouse – A contractor has been secured and the greenhouse has been ordered. Construction should begin soon.

 

  1. Summer School =21st Century Grant will run out June 30th. We will be able to run summer school this year through June 30th. Third grade summer school will be funded through participation in state pilot program. This pilot will pay for teacher, one associate and 15 students to be a part of the remedial summer school. Preference will be given to students that are currently receiving intervention. Program will be open to all students.

 

 

  1. Calendar – tentative calendar was shared with the group.

 

  1. Needs Assessment

  • We began looking at possible questions for surveys to be given to stakeholders next fall. We will be using results of this survey, Youth Survey, Assessment results to make recommendations for school improvement goals. These goals will need to be reported on the 2017 C Plan. We were short on time, so it was decided to send the questions to all committee members and gather input. We will meet again on April 18th at 5 with the purpose of completing the survey questions, and deciding how it will be completed. We will also make recommendations for the school board at the meeting in April. These recommendations will be presented to the board in May.

  •  

 

  1. Recommendations – Tabled until April 18th meeting.

 


Minutes from SIAC Meeting January 12, 2016

Members Present: Marc Snavely, Patty Briggs, Duane Lowry, Carla Lowry, Robin Fliehler, Emily Duff, Karla Duff, Amanda Knox, Sheryl Nelson, Maggie Tucker, Susie Tjaden, Doug Puffett, Stacie Francois, Tina Pech, Jason Martin-Hiner, Janet Becker

Minutes:

The meeting was called to order at 5:10. Minutes from the previous meeting were approved with adjustments names of members present at the last meeting. Patty Briggs provided an overview of the purpose and process we will be using to complete the upcoming Needs Assessment. The Needs Assessment will be conducted during the 2016-17 year. We divided into groups and discussed the districts strengths and opportunities for improvement within various areas of our district. The information is organized in a chart below the minutes.  We will be using this information, as well as looking at data from student achievement and our Youth Survey to create a survey for our stakeholders to complete. At the conclusion of the meeting Patty Briggs invited members present to be a part of a committee to develop the survey. We will continue this discussion during our next meeting on March 21st at 5:00.  




 

SIAC Meeting Input for Needs Assessment

January 12, 2016

Academic Instruction

Strengths

Opportunities

  • Not a SINA School

  • Offer a variety of classes( RAMS- college classes, STEM –concurrent enrollment, CTE, Fine Arts)

  • High Graduation Rate

  • Good AEA Support

  • Above Average ACT scores

  • Amount of scholarships -$98,000

  • Pilot school for AIW

  • TLC – Teacher Leadership opportunities

  • Good Student/Teacher ratios

  • Need to continue on reading and writing in Middle School

  • Reduction in staff- scheduling

  • Finances – ability to purchase materials

  • Improve opportunities for TAG especially in high school “Belin-Blank”

  • Work with unique schedules

  • Transportation to RAMS

  • Development of more school – work relationships

  • Lack of State/Gov’t support for education

Communication

Strengths

Opportunities

  • Parents & Students (grades 6+) have access to grades through Power School

  • Positive Postcards/calls home

  • Monthly communications to parents (MS and HS)

  • Weekly communications from elementary principal

  • Mr. Barker site ( recognition)

  • Email (easy to use)

  • Website

  • Newsletter

  • Getting parents to read and pay attention to correspondence

  • Regular (monthly) letter from admin that informs and promotes

  • Promote successes of Starmont outside of borders through Media

  • On-line activity calendar updated

  • Increase local paper academic information

  • Increase student voice – add student written stories

  • Need a social media-page

  • More teacher/coach on-line

Extra-Curricular

( Concern – Budget cuts could cause reduction in extra- curricular )

  • Large number of kids out for speech/drama

  • Strong FFA- multiple awards & scholarships

  • Community supports/volunteers (spectators)

  • Students can participate in a variety of activities

  • Good facilities

  • Good Booster Clubs (sports and arts)

  • For a school this size  - many opportunities

  • Declining enrollment makes it harder to stay competitive

  • Increase adult support/sponsorship (coaches, etc.)

  • How does school recruit coaches?

  • More communication between coaches and teachers regarding late night events.

Climate/Relationships

Strengths

Opportunities

  • Well-structured (Elementary Class transitions)

  • Welcoming Atmosphere

  • Good student/teacher relationships

  • Positives are sent to parents

  • Quality of facilities – large spaces to host activities

  • Support of community – new green house

  • Ratio of adults ( teachers, admin, paras to students is low)

  • Multiple communities

  • Poor attendance at parent/teacher conferences at MS/HS

  • Location of school – rural

  • Update Security System- ( Lock down, security cameras, buzz in and out, limit entrances and exits)

  • Positive Police Presence

  • Student council voice – leadership

  • NHS voice and leadership

Community Involvement

  • Community volunteers for events (elem. Playground, speech events, book fairs, concession stands, etc.)

  • SMA/FA and Booster do lots for school

  • JEFF BARKER – PHOTOS!!

  • Host community Events ( Band, Boy/Girl Scouts, Jr. Stars)

  • Stars and Daycare

  • Ways to get community members to the building? (Awareness of events)

  • Electronic signs

  • Improve/Expand Email Database ( community members, other family , newsletter, event calendar info, possible drawing for free passes to increase/incentive  sign up

  • Future PTA

  • TVs to communicate school news, announcements, etc. Advertising great things at SCSD

  • Renew the communication committee

Technology

  • 1:1 initiative good in middle/high school

  • Ongoing 1:1 & increasing use

  • Funding available

  • Long-range tech plan

  • K-12 standards for tech

  • Strong Tech support

  • Hi-Band width- Infrastructure

  • TLC ( Teacher Leadership) – Tech Integrationist

  • More emphasis needed

  • More PD on use and distribution of technology K-12

  • Update Security cameras

  • Update Sound system

  • Availability to take Chrome books home

  • More teacher/coach presence (communication)

  • More technology support – Lost Lois Bockenstedt

  • More $ to replace needed supplies

 


SIAC Meeting Agenda

November 17 @ 5:00 pm K-12 Media Center

 

 

Members Present: Beth Jaeger, Susie Tjaden, Carla Lowry, Duane Lowry, Marc Snavely, Sandy Klaus, Theresa Breitbach, Stacie Francios, Jason Martin-Hiner, Sen. Brian Schoenjahn, Carrie Funk, Brenda Johanns, Amanda Knox, Sheryl Nelson, Julie Riechers, Maggie Tucker, Patty Briggs

 

 

  1. Minutes from last meeting-

 

Minutes from the April meeting were shared. No major changes were made.  We needed to correct last sentence under the calendar section.

 

 

  1. District/Building Goals – Marc shared the secondary goals with group. These goals include continued work on utilizing writing across the curriculum, integrating technology into instruction, continued implementation of PBIS, Utilizing Curriculum Manager to assist with aligning our curriculum with Iowa Core. Teachers were also learning about “Go Guardian” as tool to monitor technology usage within their classroom.  Marc also shared that the task force for investigating homework policy had been put on hold for this year. Sandy shared that the elementary has spent time at the beginning of the year being trained for assessments. But our goal continues to be on improving our writing instruction. This was a need identified by the teachers.  Research supports the correlation between reading achievement and writing, because they are reciprocal processes. We are focusing on creating mini-lessons, conferencing with students, providing feedback and using their writing to make instructional decisions. Susie Tjaden and Beth Jaeger verified the improvement in the students writing and

 

 

 

  1. Progress on last year goals – Patty shared with the group how we reported on the CSIP for meeting our goals. We met all of the academic goals for the year. We need to ensure that all students complete the Youth Survey so we can accurately measure the culture and climate within the district. Also we will need to be developing a Needs Assessment to be completed during the 16-17 school year. The members of the SIAC committee will be assisting in creating this survey.

 

 

  1. Differentiated Accountability – Patty shared a power point explaining this new process for monitoring school improvement. This process will replace the 5 year site visits. It is similar to a MTSS process for schools. Schools submit reports and items for a desk audit to the DE. These documents are reviewed and schools are considered Universal, Targeted or Intensive. Site visits are conducted at schools with Intensive needs, webinars/phone with Targeted needs, and Universal would receive documentation. They will eventually be looking at 5 healthy indicators; Universal Instruction, Data based decision making, Targeted and Intensive Services, Leadership, and Infrastructure. Starmont volunteered to be a part of the program this year. So we are submitting information now

 

 

 

  1. Technology Update – Needs/Plan

 

 

Marc shared the process for reviewing our existing technology and then developed a plan for replacing equipment over the next 5 years. Janet clarified that the funding for technology was not out of the general fund.

 

 

  1. Teacher Leadership Compensation

 

 

Sandy shared our grant application, and the process for hiring the positions within the program. The members were shown how to access the website to view all of the job descriptions, applications and  the grant in its entirety . There was a question about funding running out for the program.

Sen. Schoenjahn stated that funding had been approved for outside the general fund, but that the funding had already been rolled into the allocation of money.  This meant that schools that were not collecting money for TLC this year actually were allocated less.

 

  1. Other items-

 

Sen. Schoenjahn shared NICC with Oelwein had purchase Tech Spec building and would be completing a huge remodel from Silo funds. This would allow more room for dual enrollment in tech related courses.

He also announced that there could be 300 new jobs because Decca  had purchased and would be expanding employment in Oelwein. Task force is looking at need for skilled workforce. This could bring more students to our school as well.

 

  1. Next meeting - January 12, 2016 @ 5:00

 


SIAC Meeting Agenda
April 20 @ 5:30 
K-12 Media Center

Review Minutes from last meeting 

Early Learning Implementation (ELI) Update
Sandy updated the committee that we will begin implementing FAST tests next year, instead of the DIBELS Next. This is a state supported Universal Screener. 90% of schools in Iowa are or will be using this assessment. We will be sending a small team to be trained and certified for this test in June. Teachers will be trained in early fall. FAST will also be used for our progress monitoring. 
This is our last year for the grant that has been funding summer school. The terms of the grant require summer school to be 30 days in length (6 weeks). Currently we have 80 students K- 5 enrolled. Instruction during the summer will focus on reading. Students that have begun FAST For Word during the school year will continue with it during the summer session. 
Calendar
The 2015-16 school calendar was shared with the committee.  Snow days were added to the end of the school year as requested from teacher input at committee meetings. This allowed for the Easter break to be untouched. This allows parents to long weekend to plan trips around.   

Schedule (Marc Snavely reported)
Scheduling at the high school is on track. Students have completed class sign up. There were several new course offerings this year. Courses added included: Multi-Cultural Foods, Life Studies, Film studies, College Prep and Research. There were a couple of additions in the area of Drafting I and II are being offered to our students and to Ed-Co students. Also the addition of Intro to Industrial Tech provides an entry level course in this area and allows student access to 2 pathways of courses study in industrial technology. Horticulture was divided into 2 courses, one is Landscape Design and the other is Floriculture.  Intro to Music Theory has also been added to our course options. Students really have a large selection of courses. 
Iowa Core Leadership Team Update
The team completed the self –study survey. It was determined that most of our work needs to be on alignment of curriculum assessment and professional development. We also want to ensure that we are informing the community about our progress in meeting those goals. 
The district has begun implementing the Curriculum manager with entire district. This will assist us with our alignment work. Administration with building leadership groups need to develop a realistic plan for the continued implementation and the goals for its usage.  
 The team discussed ways to gather information about open enrollment. There was concern expressed about bothering residents because they had been contacted in the past year. The contacts made by board members indicated majority of students who open-enrolled because of proximity. Suggestion was made to develop a survey or questionnaire about their experience at Starmont and reasons for open enrolling and have it completed by new families that file papers. 
Open Enrollment 
Supt. O’Loughlin contacted 24 other Superintendents in the Keystone AEA of which 8 responded. The responses showed that all of the districts followed the state policy of allowing all open enrollments that are filed by the March 1st deadline. A few districts have had the Supts. Send surveys or made contact after open-enrollment within the last 2 to 3 districts. Starmont’s board members have contacted families within our district that open-enroll out. No other district has had board members make those contacts. 
There are still concerns about the percentage of students open enrolling out of the district. It is believed that we need to have a proactive approach in gathering information about why students are leaving. We are not a school in need of assistance and our course offerings are impressive.  Surveys are one way for us to gather data/information. The surveys would need to inquire about multiple topics and assist in determining why families open-enroll and how we can improve our practice and/or relationships.  
Curriculum Manager
Patty Briggs shared that the staff has been trained on the program and is in the beginning stages of adding course units and materials. This program will be used as a planning tool for our teachers, and will also allow administration to produce reports. These reports will assist us with alignment and ensure that students are experiencing all areas of the curriculum 

RECOMMENDATIONS:

Increase publication of positive happenings at Starmont, especially within our communities and our neighboring communities.

Develop a protocol for Open Enrollment; include a possible survey, phone call or interview with families after completing open-enrollment forms. 

Inquire and/or research for surveys that could provide us with information that would allow us to improve practices/communication and decrease number of students open-enrolling out. 


SIAC Meeting Agenda
January 19, 2015 @ 5:00 – 6:30
K-12 Media Center


Members Present: Sandy Klaus, Theresa Breitbach, Marc Snavley, Jeri Watson, Matt O’Loughlin, Danielle West, Kerri Mennenga, Patty Briggs, Maggie Tucker, Susie Tjaden,  Amanda Knox, Janet Becker, Beth Jaeger, and Robin Fliehler

Members Absent:  Susie Tjaden, Austin Norberg, Carmen Stenger, Tracey Yelden, Heather Anfinson, Megan Gates, Gabe Hamlett, Angie Happel, Bonnie Haye , Nancy Oehler, Chad Paris, Julie Riechers, Brenda Streicher, Tina Pech, Heather Anfinson, Nicole Baumgartner, Spencer Pech, Karl Kloche, Amanda Crowe, Roger Thomas, Robbie McIntyre, Chad Whittle, Ella Hamlett, Carla Lowry, Mike Breitbach Duane Lowry, Kim Klock, Sheryl Nelson, Jason Martin-Hiner, Chantel Keppler, Karla Duff, Doug Puffett, Russell Manternach and Brian Schoenjahn

Welcome 
Review minutes 

Update on State Budget and Legislation – Matt presented
*The governor is only offering a .8% allowable growth to districts that did not receive the TLC grant. An increase of 6% would be appropriate to allow Starmont to continue to offer the programs as is. Matt encouraged us to contact our legislators about the funding issue. 

Start Date for schools – Matt presented
*The soonest schools can start is August 31st for the 2015-2016 school year. 
*More guidance will come from the Department of Education about the waivers pertaining to school start date

Update Iowa Core Leadership Team – Patty presented
This group is comprised of teachers, administrators, and community members. It is has been difficult to get community members to attend this meeting. This is part of our reporting to the state. This group is reviewing the plan written in 2008-2009. They are planning to revisit and update our plan. This team will meet again in late March/early April to check our goal alignment. There has been a suggestion to increase the communication via our website to parents about what teachers are doing during early out PD on Wednesdays. There is a need for more technology training for teachers at the elementary level. More community members are needed for this group. It meets a few times a year from 3:30-4:15.


Early Literacy Initiative – Focus on Assessment Wall – Patty presented
The data wall was shown and the teacher rubric used was presented. The wall will be updated the week of January 26th following the completion of testing. This is evidence that Starmont is using Multi-System Tiers of Support. 

Open Enrollment / Title and Special Education Numbers – Patty presented
Our current enrollment is 631. Sandy explained the different ways Title monies can be used. Our elementary building is a title one building. The amount of money we receive is dependent on free and reduced lunch data for the district. 
Our open enrollment policy follows Iowa State Code. The data of how many students open enroll in and out of Starmont was presented. 
An article was presented from The Gazette entitled “Open enrollment hurts small, large school districts.” All members read this article and discussed it at their tables. Then there was a share-out.

Questions/Concerns: Upward trend to open enrollment out while enrollment decreases. High percentage of our enrollment is out into one district. (Ed-Co) $180,000 less in our budget due to open enrollments out. How many students does Ed-Co lose to other districts? Or gain from other districts? Does the location of Starmont being in the country have something to do with families choosing other districts? Child care? Bussing? Bullying issues?

Ideas: revisit with open enrollment in/out. Why are families leaving? Why are they choosing to come in? Could community members get more honest feedback rather than administrators or school board members? Educate families about the positives here at Starmont – for example, we are not on the School in Need of Assistance list or Districts in Need of Assistance list. Contact prospective students/parents (invite to attend Starmont) – such as parents of kindergarten students beginning. Provide possible answers/reasons for interview or survey. Would the survey being anonymous result in more honest results? Related concern, anonymous surveys result in a lower response rate. Provide an exiting questionnaire when applying to open enroll. Ask students about why kids are leaving. Some districts have closed borders to other buses Opportunities for students to collaborate within other schools. Investigate with other school districts about how they handle open enrollment issues. Go so far as to advertise/publicize reason to be at Starmont.

CTE Grant – Marc presented
Career and Tech Ed. This covers Industrial Tech, Family and Consumer Science, Business, and Agriculture. It is required that you have a program of study and they are connected to a Community College. There is a grant that accompanies this program which is tied to Iowa Core standards. The grant is around $4,000-$5,000. For the current school year Agriculture has the grant. It will fund our ag teacher to attend a training. 

The next SIAC meeting will be on Monday, April 20th from 5:00-6:30 in the K-12 Media Center.  

 

 


Future’s Meeting Minutes

November 18th, 2014

 

Members Present: Sandy Klaus, Kim Klocke, Teresa Breitbach, Mike Breitbach, Sheryl Nelson,

Jason Martin-Hiner, Robbie McIntyre, Marc Snavley, Tina Pech, Heather Anfinson, Nicole

Baumgartner, Spencer Pech, Karl Klocke, Amanda Crowe, Jeri Watson, Matt O’Loughlin, Carla Lowry,

Duane Lowry, Kerri Mennenga, Karla Duff, Patty Briggs, Russell Manternach, Maggie Tucker, Ella Hamlett, Chantel Keppler, Suzy Tjaden, Doug Puffett,  Amanda Knox, Brian Schoenjahn, Janet Becker, Beth Jaeger, and Robin Fliehler

 

Members Absent:  Susie Tjaden, Austin Norberg, Carmen Stenger, Tracey Yelden, Heather Anfinson, Megan Gates, Gabe Hamlett, Angie Happel, Bonnie Haye , Nancy Oehler, Chad Paris, Julie

Riechers, Brenda Streicher, Roger Thomas, and Chad Whittle

 

1. Welcome and Introductions – each member introduced themselves.   Members reviewed the minutes.

 

2. Financial Information - Matt O’Loughlin presented about how schools are funded.  The certified enrollment this year is 624.56 students. Last year the certified enrollment was 616.92. This is an increase of 7.64.

 

3. District goals. Marc Snavley presented the 6-12 district goals.

    Goal 1:  Staff will implement PBIS (Positive Behavior Intervention Supports) with fidelity as measured by the Team Implementation Checklist and the Self-Assessment Survey. A data team has been added this year to work on tier 2 and tier 3 interventions.

    Goal 2:  Teachers will gather and enter instructional units into Curriculum Manager so gaps in writing can be identified.

    Goal 3: Through work done in PLCs, teachers will continue to implement literacy strategies and interventions with a focus on writing.

    Goal 4: Teachers will develop classroom practices on one of the S.T.A.R.T. characteristics as determined by their Individual Professional Development Plan.

    Goal 5: Staff will use and integrate 21st century technology across the curriculum with district support.

    Goal 6: Staff will continue to improve school and community communication in the areas of web presence, positive postcards, open house, PTO meeting participation, and other technologies as measured by individual documentation.

    Task Force Work:  

Study and gather information on best grading practices.  “The Brick House” book about student apathy.  Studied by the building leadership team – 2nd semester the entire 6-12 staff will be reading the book.

Study methods to gather, analyze, and make instructional decisions based on student data through RTI and PLCs. 9th period is still being utilized to provide time to implement RTI.

 

Sandy presented the Birth – 5th grade district goals.

    Goal 1:  Using the Comprehensive Literacy Model, improve writing achievement at each grade level as measured by grade writing assessments.

    Goal 2: Increase the rigor and relevance of one unit of study as measured by the Understanding by Design Framework

    Goal 3: Learn one new FOSS kit in science at each grade level as measured by completion of training and implementation in classroom.  

 

Attendees broke into three table groups to discuss the above information.  Resulting Thoughts and Questions:

    Positive feedback – technology.  Google classroom is great to submit assignments electronically which is a good connection to the college experience we are preparing students for.  Teachers are implementing chrome books to the best of their ability.

 

    Financial formula – Future’s committee would like an update on finances from our local legislators at our January meeting.  State Foundation Aid needs to be set in a timely manner and in an amount that is effective.  Funding mechanisms  - for example transportation funding.  There is a concert that are open enrollment is negative 30.

 

4.  Teacher Leadership. Matt presented Starmont’s Teacher Leadership & Compensation Plan off of a power point. Starmont is part of the newly formed Northeast Iowa Leadership Consortium (NICL) includes: East Buchanan, West Central, Central Elkader, and Starmont.      

 

5. Early Literacy Initiative.  Sandy presented about the early literacy screening. Questions were asked about the data wall. Sandy and Patty offered to take any interested members of the Future’s committee to view the data wall at the conclusion of the meeting. Assessment walls are part of the Comprehensive Literacy Model.

 

6. CTE Grant – tabled to January due to time

 

7.  Iowa Core Leadership – tabled to January. This team has not yet had the opportunity to meet. They will be ready to present in January.

 

8. Follow up action – seeing the data of where the K-5 students fall on the data wall for literacy and math.  

Data requested:  Open enrollment numbers. Title and Special Education numbers.

 

The next meeting is set for Monday, January 19th at 5:00 p.m. in the Media Center.  

 

Future’s Meeting Minutes

April 14th, 2014

 

Members Present. Sandy Klaus, Kim Klocke, Jon Banse, Teresa Breitbach, Relda Haynes, Sheryl Nelson, Jason Martin-Hiner, Robbie McIntyre, Marc Snavley, Tina Pech, Lisa Allsup, Heather Anfinson, Nicole Baumgartner, Spencer Pech, Karl Kloche, Amanda Crowe, Jeri Watson, Matt O’Loughlin, Carla Lowry, Duane Lowry, Kerri Mennenga, Karla Duff, Patty Briggs, and Alisha Kilburg.

 

Members Absent:  Susie Tjaden, Beth Jaeger, Robin Fliehler, Austin Norberg, Mike Breitbach, Carmen Stenger, Brian Schoenjahn, Tracey Yelden, Heather Anfinson, Janet Becker, Bobbi DeLong, Megan Gates, Gabe Hamlett, Angie Happel, Bonnie Hayes, Sue Henning,  Amanda Knox, Nancy Oehler, Chad Paris, Julie Riechers, Mackenzie Robinson, Gavin VanMaanen, Brenda Streicher, Roger Thomas,  Chad Whittle, and Kim Willie

 

1. Welcome and Introductions – each member introduced themselves.   Kerri Mennenga read minutes from the meeting in January.

 

2. Update on progress with district and building goals – Sandy Klaus presented an update on the 2013-2014 building goals for the K-5 students.  She also presented the 2014-2015 K-5 goals.  Marc presented an update on the implementation of the 6-12 building goals.  An area for improvement for next year is to have more consistency between individual classroom expectations.    

 

**Jon Banse has requested that Future’s meeting minutes be communicated more clearly so members who aren’t present may be aware of what was discussed at the meeting.  Robbie said he’d make sure they were posted on the school website.  Patty can also send an email to committee members to let them know the minutes have been posted.**

 

3. Update on 1:1 Initiative – Marc presented an update on the Samsung Chromebook roll out.  He said it has been going really well.  The plan for 9-12 students next year is to implement the HP Chromebook next fall.  This decision was made by the technology committee.  This Chromebook will be more durable and larger than the Samsung.  The decision to leave these computers at the school all year next year caused a mixed reaction from committee members.  

The question was asked that if a high school student has their own computer they bring to school already – MUST they take a Chromebook.  This will go back to the technology committee for a final decision prior to enrollment.  

Another question was raised:  Would there be a discount offered if parents want to get a same computer for at home?  Can the parents get a cut rate since the school gets a discount?      

 

4. Curriculum changes for 6-12 in 2014-15 - Marc presented the changes for the curriculum to be implemented in 2014-2015.  There will be new staff joining us next fall.  The 6th grade will no longer be self-contained.  They will be part of the 6-12 Master Schedule for next year.  

 

There will be a new class for 6th graders called “Study Skills” taught by Miss Wagner next year.  Mrs. Hilsabeck will be teaching middle school science.  Currently we are advertising for a 6th-7th grade language arts teacher to include social studies.  Mr. Whittle will be doing 8th grade Social Studies class.  Mrs. Loftsgard will be doing a World History class.  Mr. Jim Prombo is the new math teacher  - he will be teaching a lot of Mr. Klingner’s current schedule.  Mrs. Tucker will be teaching home economics and a new class that will serve as an introduction to home economics.  Mr. Augustine will be teaching a physics class.  The college level physics class will still be available.  Mr. Lee will be teaching some of the heath classes.  Mr. Northup will be the new business teachers – the business classes will be tweaked a bit.  A new class called “Workplace Readiness” will be offered.  This will include more interaction with community members.  He will also be serving as the advisory for DECA which will take the place of FBLA.  

 

5. Update After school programming, STEM and Pre-school –

 

Sandy presented an update on STARS.  We are currently in the 3rd year of a 5 year grant.  Next year our funding cuts to $75,000.  The year after that it will be $50,000.  80 students are signed up so far for this summer.  Jeri suggested we asked the community to contribute money to help support the STARS program.  They will also need to charge tuition to the families to continue to bring in revenue.      

 

Sandy presented about the Starmont Pre-School which is funded through a voluntary 4-year old preschool grant.  Each class can have up to 20 students.  There must be a 10:1 ratio of students to adults.  Each classroom has a para and a teacher.  This grant also funds Berry Tender and Little Stars in addition to the Starmont Pre School.

    

6. Current Financial Status – Matt presented an update on the financial status of the district.  On March 31st the board met to approve the budget for the 2014-2015 school year.  It is important to contact legislatures to set allowable growth for the 2015-2016 school year.  We have a 4% full funded growth for the 2014-2015 school year.  Several teachers took the early retirement package offered by the school district.  Six were eligible and four took the early retirement package.  A total of seven staff members are leaving the district, only three of these positions will be replaced.  

 

Tina Pech recommended that all it would be helpful to have a link on our school website to help community members to know who their legislatures are.        

 

7. Iowa Core Leadership Team – Communications, Calendar/Professional Development

Patty presented an update on the Iowa Core Leadership Team.  Areas of focus:  leadership, community, continuous improvement (data), content, professional development, and instruction/assessment.  Three areas of focus:  sharing positives, communication (and more personal contacts to increase involvement), and collaboration.  The 2014-2015 District Calendar includes a 2:00 early out dismissal on each Wednesday.  

 

Kim Klocke raised a concern on where student athletes will go on early-out Wednesday between 2:00 and the start of practice.  

 

Jon Banse raised a question about the hours vs. days and how it effects snow days.  Starmont will be making up the snow days.  180 day calendar will be in place with an hour count.  1,161 is the number of hours on the 2014-2015 calendar.        

 

8. Recommendations for the Board

1st Recommendation:  We recommend the board consider asking the community (businesses, alumni, patrons of the district) to help financially support the After School/Summer school programs.  Perhaps supplies or materials would be donated instead of cash to help support the program.  

 

2nd Recommendation:  We recommend the board revisit outside of school activities for Wednesday afternoon early outs to help supervise students and/or offer transportation for students to get to back to school for sports practices.   Consider alternatives such as clubs or mentoring?  Such as a supervised space for high school students to work on homework that includes concessions.  Community could be engaged to assist with this.       

 

3rd Recommendation:  We recommend the board continue to support the 1:1 initiative as it rolls out at the 9-12 level for the 2014-2015 school year.  This will require an increase in personnel to handle the demands of more devices.  There should be funding in the budget for technology to support hardware, software, and personnel.  An in-house technology support person would be ideal to help assist teachers as they implement the new technology.  

 

4th Recommendation:  We recommend the board continue to explore opportunities to share resources with other school districts.  

 

5th Recommendation:  We recommend the board encourage the staff to continue to strive to improve communication between the school and the community.  

 

9. School Improvement topics to consider for futures meetings – none at this time

 

10. Future meeting dates – 2014-15 school year.  October, January, and April were recommended.      

 

Futures/SIAC Committee Meeting Agenda

K-12 Media Center

January 8, 2014, 5:00 – 6:30 pm

(Rescheduled from 12-11-13)

Members Present:  Matt O’Loughlin, Patty Briggs, Marc Snavley, Jason Martin-Hiner, Alisha Kilburg, Susie Tjaden, Beth Jaeger, Robin Fliehler, Austin Norberg, Mike Breitbach,  Amanda Crow,  Kerri Mennenga, Duane Lowry, Carla Lowry, Carmen Stenger

Members Absent: Teresa Breitbach, Sandy Klaus, Brian Schoenjahn, Tracey Yelden, Lisa Allsup, Heather Anfinson, Jon Banse, Nicole Baumgartner, Janet Becker, Bobbi DeLong, Karla Duff, Megan Gates, Gabe Hamlett, Angie Happel, Bonnie Hayes, Relda Haynes, Sue Henning, Karl Klocke, Kim Kloche, Amanda Knox, Sheryl Nelson, Nancy Oehler, Chad Paris, Spencer Pech, Tina Pech, Julie Riechers, Mackenzie Robinson, Gavin VanMaanen, Brenda Streicher, Roger Thomas, Jeri Watson, Chad Whittle, and Kim Willie

  1. Welcome and Introductions – Patty Briggs welcomed everyone to the meeting.  Each member introduced themselves to the group.  

 

  1. District/Building Goals – Patty presented the Starmont mission statement, vision, and goals.  Patty presented the Birth-5th goals and Marc presented the Grades 6-12 goals.    

 

  1. Legislative Changes

 

    1. Teacher Leadership Compensation – Matt presented a power point to define and explain the new Teacher Leadership Compensation.  Starmont received a $7,300 dollar grant for the use in planning a Teacher Leadership Compensation plan for our district.  Our district is aiming to submit an application for year two which would be due to the state sometime next winter.

Each table discussed the Teacher Leadership Compensation in small groups and then reported out to the larger group.  Questions and comments were addressed and recommendations were given.  

Questions/Comments – Minimum salary to raise base salary?  Climate is a major hurdle.  How many districts could you combine?  Travel between?

Recommendations – Find out state commitments effects on base pay and net out, will teachers more receptive to other district staff (sharing staff from other district), staff appears to have more reservations?  Consider needs of various grade levels, schedules, calendars, and contracts, visit toerhs schools utilizing program (for benefits)

Hours vs. Days – Matt presented the Iowa Department of Education Instructional Hours vs. Days information.  Starmont is looking to go to hours for next year.  1080 hours is the minimum.  (1180 hours is what we currently have this year on our school calendar.)  Mike assured us the legislators will be addressing this very early on in the 2014 session.  Tables discussed this topic then shared out to the large group.    

Questions/Concern – Do we need parent feedback

Recommendations – Educate community about time change, instructional time task force to educate


 

  1. Professional Development – Wednesday Early Outs

Patty presented an article about peer review and practitioner collaboration time. This is now state law and the district must meet this requirement.  Patty also presented an excerpt of an article by Susan Sclafani.  Tables discussed this topic then shared out to the large group.      

Questions/Comments:  Will there be an adjustment of days?  Will we need to adjust early out time?  How much push back from parents for daycare on early outs?  Transition.  Effect on support staff; hours made up encouraged to attend some pd, concern about loss of instructional time

Recommendations:  Need structure for 6-12 students on early out days, option to work for staff program for support staff, use support staff to supervise activities or tutor students, open study on days with support staff covering?

 

  1. Topics for upcoming meeting – April 14, 5:00 pm in the K-12 Media Center

 

Copyright © 2018 Starmont Community School District. All Rights Reserved.